I have a deep, deep love of spaghetti bolognese. Perhaps it’s that I have a bit of Italian heritage in me, or perhaps it’s just because it tastes so good!
Although I’ve been vegetarian for 10 years now, it’s only been the past few years that I’ve discovered vegetarian mince (thank you Quorn!). I can honestly say that I shed a tear when I first realised I could have my bolognese and my vegetarian-ness too!
This recipe can easily be made non-vegetarian, or vegan too. Just switch the vegetarian mince for meat, or remove it all together.
-1/2 medium carrot, diced small
-5-10g of sweet potato (optional), diced small
-1 small brown onion, diced
-2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
-Handful of cherry tomatoes, diced
-Sprinkle of brown sugar
-Drizzle of apple cider vinegar
-Fresh basil and oregano if possible (or use 1/2 tsp of dried)
-150 – 200g of Quorn Mince
-Drizzle of Worcestershire sauce (optional, but so not)
-2tbs of tomato paste
-Add tomato based pasta sauce to desired consistency (my favourite is Dolmio Extra Bolognese)
-Salt and pepper to desire.
- Begin by marinating your cherry tomatoes. In a small bowl mix together your drizzle of apple cider vinegar, herbs, brown sugar, salt and pepper, and tomatoes. Leave marinate while you continue with the rest of the recipe.
- Soften onion, garlic, carrot, and sweet potato (if using) in olive oil
- Next up, add in your desired mince, and a drizzle of water, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Now add in your tomato paste, mix together.
- Add in your marinated tomato mixture, and mix again.
- Add in enough of your chosen pasta sauce to make the bolognese to your desired consistency. Personally, I only end up using half a 500g jar.
- Let cook for a little while, until to tomatoes go soft and squishy, and then serve over your favourite spaghetti. Enjoy!
(p.s. yes, that is a clipart image of spaghetti – I’m working on my food photography!)
Hope all is well, Le Petit Boulanger~